Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Can a bank ask if you have a bankruptcy over 10 years old and

Can a bank ask if you have a bankruptcy over 10 years old and can they find out if you filed bankruptcy over 20 years ago?
If so, can you get in legal trouble by responding negatively due to the 10 year limit on my credit report?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

A bank can inquire whether a bankruptcy has ever been filed. This is true regardless of whether 10 years has passed and it has fallen off of the credit report. It is possible that the bank picked up the prior bankruptcy as a remains public information in the court records