Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I need to know if we can keep both of our vehicles if we file

Customer Question

I need to know if we can keep both of our vehicles if we file in SC as well as our house. how much can the vehicles be worth..I have a truck worth 10 grand but I need it for my business.. my husbands car probably isn't worth much. 1997 mercedes and 2004 f350
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

The assets that you may retain in a bankruptcy are dependent upon the type of bankruptcy that you file in this state that you reside in.

I will explain

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13. There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. However, you may have to surrender assets, if any, that exceed your exemption.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a repayment plan for an individual. It may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt over a 3 -5 year period. However, you may retain assets that exceed your exemption.

Here are the exemptions for South Carolina:

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,