socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

i want to file bankruptcy which route do i go. i have my primary

i want to file bankruptcy which route do i go. i have my primary residence (under modification right now with bank) a rental property, and approximately 30K in debt with credit cards and auto loan. I want to keep my properties but just wipe out the credit. My husband and I are seperated and looking to finalize a divorce.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

Please provide the amount of each of loans on the two properties (I need to know how much each loan balance is, not just the totals).

Also, what is the fair market value of each property.

Same for the motor vehicle (loan balance and fair market value).

Finally, how much do you gross each month from all sources of income (except social security if you receive it)?

I'm off to dinner. I'll get back to you in a bit. Thanks in advance.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the primary property is valued at the same as the outstanding mortgage same as rental
primary is 389K and rental is 300 k value and loan amount, the vehicle is already repossed and they are telling me I owe them 10k and change my income is approx imately $4600 plus $1700 rental income credit card balances around $20k

Your income is too high for a Chapter 7, which leaves Chapter 13. Since the rental and your home are effectively worthless, you could create a plan whereby you continue to pay the two mortgages during the bankruptcy and then pay your disposible income towards your unsecured debts over the next 5 years. Frankly, you probably would pay off the debts in full before the five years is up, so what the bankruptcy would actually do would be to get your creditors to shut up while you were paying them off.

There's no way you can wipe out the debts entirely. You earn too much and your debt is too small in relation to what you earn.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so the rental income is considered as my income in its entirety (sp?) right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
also, should I pay an attorney to do this for me or is there a website that can help me put a proposal of such together to file it myself?

Here is a guide (perhaps the only decent one) to "do-it-yourself" a Chapter 13. A lawyer will probably run you $2,500. If your case is unremarkable, you may have no difficulties. But, if you start receiving objection pleadings from the bankruptcy trustee, you may suddenly think $2,500 is cheap to get a night's sleep.

For a consumer bankruptcy attorney referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=MA and www.martindale.com.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)