How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 37387
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i want to file bankruptcy which route do i go. i have my primary

Resolved Question:

i want to file bankruptcy which route do i go. i have my primary residence (under modification right now with bank) a rental property, and approximately 30K in debt with credit cards and auto loan. I want to keep my properties but just wipe out the credit. My husband and I are seperated and looking to finalize a divorce.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Please provide the amount of each of loans on the two properties (I need to know how much each loan balance is, not just the totals).


Also, what is the fair market value of each property.


Same for the motor vehicle (loan balance and fair market value).


Finally, how much do you gross each month from all sources of income (except social security if you receive it)?


I'm off to dinner. I'll get back to you in a bit. Thanks in advance.


NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the primary property is valued at the same as the outstanding mortgage same as rental
primary is 389K and rental is 300 k value and loan amount, the vehicle is already repossed and they are telling me I owe them 10k and change my income is approx imately $4600 plus $1700 rental income credit card balances around $20k
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Your income is too high for a Chapter 7, which leaves Chapter 13. Since the rental and your home are effectively worthless, you could create a plan whereby you continue to pay the two mortgages during the bankruptcy and then pay your disposible income towards your unsecured debts over the next 5 years. Frankly, you probably would pay off the debts in full before the five years is up, so what the bankruptcy would actually do would be to get your creditors to shut up while you were paying them off.


There's no way you can wipe out the debts entirely. You earn too much and your debt is too small in relation to what you earn.


Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so the rental income is considered as my income in its entirety (sp?) right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also, should I pay an attorney to do this for me or is there a website that can help me put a proposal of such together to file it myself?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Here is a guide (perhaps the only decent one) to "do-it-yourself" a Chapter 13. A lawyer will probably run you $2,500. If your case is unremarkable, you may have no difficulties. But, if you start receiving objection pleadings from the bankruptcy trustee, you may suddenly think $2,500 is cheap to get a night's sleep.


For a consumer bankruptcy attorney referral, see: and

socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 37387
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.