Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I was laid off in February. I desperately need to find legal

Customer Question

I was laid off in February. I desperately need to find legal help. I need to start a bankruptcy ASAP. I am in foreclosure, have tax problems, medical bills, and card debt, and a second mortgage. I can not find a lawyer to work with me. I do not have 1500.00 to start one. For weeks I have been trying to raise the money for a retainer fee and I am unable to do so. I am 48 years old, and always have been in good credit except for the last 4 – 5 years. I am unable to find help, even through legal aid. I don’t know what to do anymore.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
HI and thank you for your question. Many attorneys will offer you a payment plan to start working on the case, filing once paid in full. Try contacting several, most offer free consultations. You can also try the better business bureau or your local attorney bar association for referrals. Many also advertise on the internet, and in classifieds like craigslist. Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i explained, I have no money and need it started ASAP. No help
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
There are some legal aid places you can apply for help at. You can file pro-se yourself, and you can check to see if they have a attorney staffed help desk at the bankruptcy court too, some cities do. The filing fee is $299, which if you are below the poverty level, you can apply to get that waived, as well as your mandatory credit counseling. Sorry, This is not a referral service, so we do not have listings for pro-bono agencies. Sorry. Good luck