socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I have a apartment tenant occupied. I have filed Bankruptcy.

I have a apartment tenant occupied. I have filed Bankruptcy. These tenants have not paid rent for months. I know I can still sue them for back rent... Do I have any other obligations to them after the trustee takes over the property? Are they responsible for maintenance of the property etc?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Do I have any other obligations to them after the trustee takes over the property?

A: Since your bankruptcy prevents the tenant from suing you to enforce the lease prior to the bankruptcy filing. And, after the bankruptcy filing it's up to the bankruptcy trustee to either assume or reject the leases, so you still have no "obligation" to the tenants under the lease contract, with one exception -- the security deposit.

Under DC Muni. Reg. 14-308.4, a tenant's security deposit is held "in trust" for the tenant. This means that the deposit is not part of the bankruptcy estate. It remains the tenant's property, subject to a determination that the tenant has breached the lease and is not entitled to the return of the deposit. Upon filing bankruptcy, the bankruptcy trustee obtains your interest as landlord in the tenants' security deposits. Thus, it becomes the trustee's problem as to whether or not to refund the deposit.

In sum, your duty is to turn over the deposit accounts to the trustee. After that, you're off the hook.

Are they responsible for maintenance of the property etc?

A: Yes and no. The tenant has an equitable obligation to not commit "waste" (damage) on the property, regardless of whether or not the lease is assumed or rejected by the bankruptcy trustee. However, you have an obligation to not damage the bankruptcy trustee's interest in the property -- otherwise, the trustee could use your failure to maintain as a demonstration of bad faith and thereby have your Chapter 7 dismissed. So, you can't just strand the tenants, until you have asked the court to force the trustee to assume or reject the leases.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.