cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

I get addional income from a sale of my business 4years ago

Customer Question

I get addional income from a sale of my business 4years ago which just pays my house payment, I have 4yrs left of payments , will this go agaist me from filing chapter 7? What will happen if i did not declare that income? Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago via Nolo Press.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
What did you mean when you said, "will this go against me from filing Chapter 7"?
Where you receiving this income when you filed the Chapter 7 case?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If i file for chapter 7, will this income from the sale of my gym be used as a asset against me, I sold my gym a few years back , and i am reciving payments for the next four years. I make very little income for the hours i work and relay and the monthly payment from the sale of the gym.

Do i need to add this income as a asset even thou i pay taxes on this, if i add this as a asset , will i lose this payment? Or will i have to file chapter 13? if so in which case i would never be able to afford to pay the trustie , any advice will be great, Thank you,

p.s if you should need any more info please let me Know, Jamie

The income from the gym is treated the same as your employment income. If both of them together total less than $36,628.00 for a household of one, then you should be able to file a Chapter 7.

Edited by Christina Fortunato, Esq. on 5/8/2010 at 12:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was told that the monthly income from the sale of the gym would be used as a asset and that i would lose that payment!!!!

I do recive a w2 at the end of the year in which i file taxes on that income,

I was told i would have to file chapter 13 because of that extra income,

With my wages and income the total per year before taxes =$41.000 for a family of two, could i still file for Chapter 7. Thank you Jamie

Who told you that you would have to file a Chapter 13 because of that income?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Another Laywer, he said that was my only option , I look forward to your answer , Thanks Jamie
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on one of the chapter 7 questions forms i had to fill out, It asked if i had owned any buissness, Or sold one with in the past 5 years, I said yes and that the new owner is making payments to pay it off, which i report as income..... Hope hope this info helps.
There is no question that if you had sold the business for cash, that cash would be non-exempt if you still had it.
Since you chose instead to receive the sales price in installments, I see that as an annuity, and therefore exempt up to the allowable amount.
However, as I honestly do not know what a bankruptcy trustee would decide, I am opting out of this question, for someone who may have a better idea.