Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I have Bankruptcy consult on the 05/14! Today I recieved a

I have Bankruptcy consult on the 05/14! Today I recieved a letter in the mail from an attorney Law office in regards XXXXX XXXXX Medical Collection for $7000.00.Could share your insight on my options in handling this matter until my consult.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Hi. THank you for your question.
If it is just a collection letter, then you probably can just bring it to your attorney meeting.
if it is a summons, you should file your answer with the clerk, then contact your lawyer about the next steps. If you do nothing, a default judgment will be entered, allowing the creditor to collect the debt thru garnishment or attachment. Once you file the bankruptcy case, the debt will discharge and the collection or lawsuit by the doctor must stop. Thank you for your question and good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Could I send a Debt Validation Letter to by some time? The letter states" This law firm has been retained to represent the creditor named above concerning your debt to them.The amount due is also indicated above".

"Please send a check to this office to satisfy the balance due. In the alternative,if you wish to discuss this matter,please do not hesitate to contact us."