How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed for bankruptcy in CT. The discharge date is June 5th,

Resolved Question:

I filed for bankruptcy in CT. The discharge date is June 5th, 2010. At the time I had no expectation of receiving an inheritance but my mother suddenly began to fail and may pass away in a matter of days. I would like to know if there is someway I can protect that inheritance or at least get the will changed so that my siblings can receive the money instead.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

My condolences.

If your mother is in a position where she may change her will, she can execute a new will omitting you as a beneficiary.

If your mother is unable to change her will, you may file a disclaimer/renunciation of your interest in her estate. You will need to retain local counsel to do this. The effect of the disclaimer/renunciation is that your interest in your mother's estate will pass according to the will as if you had predeceased your mother
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions