Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I filed for bankruptcy in CT. The discharge date is June 5th,

I filed for bankruptcy in CT. The discharge date is June 5th, 2010. At the time I had no expectation of receiving an inheritance but my mother suddenly began to fail and may pass away in a matter of days. I would like to know if there is someway I can protect that inheritance or at least get the will changed so that my siblings can receive the money instead.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

My condolences.

If your mother is in a position where she may change her will, she can execute a new will omitting you as a beneficiary.

If your mother is unable to change her will, you may file a disclaimer/renunciation of your interest in her estate. You will need to retain local counsel to do this. The effect of the disclaimer/renunciation is that your interest in your mother's estate will pass according to the will as if you had predeceased your mother