Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I am a bankruptcy petition preparer and I have never run into

I am a bankruptcy petition preparer and I have never run into anyone who filed a Chapter 13 case and then wanted to close it (terminate it). How do I help her go about doing this? She has filed in Reno, NV, and I know they have a "different" way of doing things than most. She submitted a Motion to Dismiss as she was told that was the way to go, but now they are saying she needs to file something else in order to get the case closed before a hearing date. I hope you can help.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If your customer simply wants the 13 to be dismissed without the benefit of the discharge, she can simply stop making payments to the plan. the court will dismiss the 13 on its own initiative