socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

did the 2005 change in Bankrupcy law change the status of collateral

did the 2005 change in Bankrupcy law change the status of collateral held by counterparty in open contract. Specifically pre 2005 if aig went bankrupt would goldman sachs be entitled to keep the collateral it was holding to secure its cds swaps or would it be reclaimed by bank rupcy trustee??
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Secured interests have not changed as a result of the BAPCPA (except with respect to issues of "reclaimed goods," which is wholely inapplicable to your question).

If AIG were to file Chapter 7, GS would keep the collateral to the extent that the CDS actually creates a secured interest (which it may or may not -- it would depend upon the exact verbiage of the CDS).

In Chapter 11, AIG could attempt to "cramdown" GS's interest in any CDS to reflect fair market value. The general requirement is that the Chapter 11 plan be "fair and equitable." There are specific requirements, but basically, if GS gets fair market value for its CDS interests, and so do all the other CDS creditors, then that would likely be sufficient to confirm the plan.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: Due to overwhelming customer demand for my time, I am forced to limit our correspondence to only one follow-up question per session. If you are on a subscription plan, this does not prevent you from asking new questions for the same subscription fee. It only means that you must open a new question to continue our conversation. You are welcome to open a new question on the Homepage and preface it with my userid: “To Socrateaser....”

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so the outcome in terms of who got what was unnaffected by the change in law in 2005?

The BAPCPA is primarily connected to consumer-bankruptcies. An AIG bankrutpcy would be the farthest thing from. I can't think of anything in the BAPCPA that would be applicable to a large corporation default.