cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

In Washington State, a Community property state. In our divorce, I agreed to pay off

In Washington State, a Community property state. In our divorce, I agreed to pay off a credit card for which I was the primary card holder and my ex-wife did not sign anything, but was an authorized user at one point. She never used the card-all of the debt incurred on the card during the marriage was mine. I realize that all debt incurred during the marriage is the responsibility of each of us.
I agreed to pay this credit card off, as the divorce decree specified. I paid off this credit card in the refinance of my house. But, I kept the account open, thinking that my obligation to pay this debt was finished. Then, nearly a year later, I took a balance transfer from this card. Is my ex-wife responsible for my newly-incurred debt post-divorce (knowing that the account was opened while we were married)? I realize that I must inform my ex-wife of my bankruptcy filing. Is this debt dischargeable? Please ask for more information if it might be relevant to this case.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Your ex-wife is not responsible for debt incurred after the divorce, even though she was responsible for the debt incurred on the same card while you were married.
With certain limitations (such as the debt was not incurred fraudulently), the debt should be dischargable.