Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I recently went through a bankruptcy and included my home.

I recently went through a bankruptcy and included my home. Do they have to notify me before it goes to sheriffs sale and how long will it be before I have to be out? Do they sometimes work a deal after bankruptcy to where I can keep my home?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. As the homeowner, you are required to be served with notice of the proceedings. You will receive the foreclosure summons. They are not collecting, just transferring title with the foreclosure. Depending on how fast the court is moving, and how many foreclosure cases the judge is hearing, the case can last for 3-6 months in some cases. IF you have only one loan, you may be able to deed it back to the bank to speed up the process as well. Talk to your lender to see if this is available. Otherwise, you can live in the home without having to pay the mortgage until the foreclosure completes. Thanks for your question, good luck.