Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I recently completed by draft petiotion for chapter 7, but

I recently completed by draft petiotion for chapter 7, but the firm I was working with backed out of filing because their field attorney was overwhelmed with clients. They held my petition for over a month before telling me this (It is dated Feb. 17th, 2010) Do I have to start the process all over again or can this petition still be filed as is?
You can file the case at any time. It needs to meet the minimum filing requirements though, and I don't know what condition the petition is in. You can take that to another attorney to assist you or you can try to file it yourself if it is complete and accurate. I would advise against not using an attorney though, as there are deadlines for some documents and you need to have your certificate in good standing for the credit counseling case before filing as well, it's only good for 6 months. once filed, then you need to send documents to the trustee, the court or the US trustee based on your local rules. Thank you for your question and good luck.