Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My former residence in St. Cloud , Florida is listed for sale.

My former residence in St. Cloud , Florida is listed for sale. It is a short sale and the lenders are now considering the short sale approval of an offer from a buyer.
I understand that when the house is sold I will have a deficiency judgement with the lenders.
I have moved to Ft. Myers, FL. I am planning to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy to clear other credit card and medical debt that I have. If my the short sale of my former residence closes before my Chapter 7 is filed, will the Ch 7 wipe out the deficiency judgements from the lenders?
If the house is sold after the bankruptcy is completed, will I still have the deficiency judgements?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

A chapter 7 bankruptcy will typically discharge a deficiency judgment regardless of whether the bankruptcy is filed before or after the house is sold

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.