Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
15345323

filed ch. 7 jointly with husband 10/08 discharged Jan/09 as

Customer Question

filed ch. 7 jointly with husband 10/08 discharged Jan/09 as told by credit union. Did not apply for any credit secured or unsecured until now and was told we had a score of none. husband is waiting to see if he gets approval on a decent level credit card(i did the research the offers are for folks with fair/good credit)...as we were sent this in the mail. Score at filing was 643..how could we go to zero/none so fast after discharge? husband does have a deceased father..am wondering if something is showing up on a report as we did find a few of his accts listed as open when we filed ch7. obv. we are planning to check all reports, but was hoping someone could shed some light. good, stable prof. career/pay and stable residence..no foreclosure/repo in filing.
thanks
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 4 years ago.
It is impossible to have a zero credit reporting score. You should order credit reports from all 3 bureaus to makes sure all the information is being properly reported. You can get a free one, one time per year at www.annualcreditreport.com

You would need to pay extra though to get your credit score. It sounds like either there is an error, or that the credit union may be telling you that because they are denying you credit. Talk to them to see what is up, they would be best to tell you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Terry and thank you for your reply. I had a sleeping baby in my arms before so apologies for the choppy email. I did contact the credit union and based on a mtg with a local lender (just a Q&A) to see what we need to do to be able to buy a home in the next few yrs we felt encouraged to apply for the loan..for a used car as we currently have no car payments..thinking this would be a good way to build credit. We were shocked to be denied..esp. for the reason given..being told that experian sent back a non-registering score or none..so I am left to wonder (while I await our reports and score) could this be an error and/or related to a deceased parents info showing up(husband has same name as deceased father and his info was on his reports when we filed..obviously a mistake then) or is this simply a case of having a "thin file"? I just would hope that if our discharge was not even official until 1/09 that our score at that time of 643 would still be ok even if not higher..instead of lower because we have not tried to get/use credit.

Again, thank you. Your expertise is much appreciated.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 4 years ago.
I FICO Credit Score is between 350 and 800. so a zero is not possible. Contact Experian since they are the oens sending in that error. You can call them at 1(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />good luck. hope that helps sort out the issue. Credit events stay on your report for 7-10 years. the bankruptcy eliminates the debt, but the items will still be listed on the credit report, so I doubt that is the issue.