Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I am currently unemployed and have been since October 2008.

Customer Question

I am currently unemployed and have been since October 2008. I have a 7 month old baby I am taking care of with unemployment extension money. It will run out at the end of the month. There is no child support yet and I have zero income otherwise. I own nothing of value except my laptop and car. I received a civil summons from a debt collector. What should I do? I was advised not to file bankruptcy until I found a job but now I'm stuck! Advice?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
You do not need to be working to file for bankruptcy. Since you have limited income and no specific assets, then it is the best time to file the case. You can wipe out the debt in just 90 days, and have a fresh start within 90 days. The lawsuit must stop once the case is filed as well. Otherwise, they can seize your bank account,and/or start garnishing wages when you get back to work. Thanks for your question and good luck.