socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I have a timeshare that I no longer use and can not afford

I have a timeshare that I no longer use and can not afford to pay the maintenance fees. I have asked the association if they would take my week in lieu of payment since I do not plan to use it anymore and they refused. I have explained that I am financially unable to meet the demands of their assessments which have increased as they are making improvements to the units but they are unwilling to work with me. I am self-employed so there are no wages they can go over after. I rent and do not own any property and have less than $1000 in the bank. I do have a retirement account in an IRA. I realize my credit will be affected by defaulting on payments but what assests can they go after me for? If I file for bankruptcy will that get them off my back?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

The entire timeshare industry is built on maintenance fees, which inevitably turn out to be more expensive than simply purchasing a resort vacation in the same locale. In my view, the entire industry should be shut down. But, it's legal, so there's nothing that anyone can do.

That said, if you have no assets that can be reached, then you're judgment proof, which means that no debt collector can successfully seize anything and sell it. Your IRA is exempt, so that's not an issue. But, if you want to get rid of the maintenance fees, permanently, then Chapter 7 is the way to do it for certain.

Seems as though you are a pretty good candidate for a simple "no asset" Ch. 7. You may even be able to "do-it-yourself." Consider picking up a copy of this publication.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I agree that the timeshare industry is the biggest scam every perpetuated on unsuspecting tourists. Thank you very much for your answer.
You're welcome and good luck.