socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

My chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged, but the trustee is

My chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged, but the trustee is still requesting information from me. What are my responsibilities after discharge to cooperate with the trustee?

A discharge is not the same as having the case "closed." If you have a Chapter 7 "asset": case, then the trustee may still be administrating the assets for the creditors, and during that time, which can take months (or, even years), the trustee can continue to request information from the debtor as necessary to administrate the assets.

If you have a "no asset" Chapter 7, then there is nothing to administrate, and the case should generally close almost immediately after the discharge.

Once the case is closed, the trustee has no more authoirty and can't request anything from the debtor. Prior to closing, the debtor must continue to cooperate with the trustee so as to permit the reasonable administration of the bankruptcy estate. Bankr. C. §521(a)(3).

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.