Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

If i file for bankruptcy and it is turned down , can my VA

If i file for bankruptcy and it is turned down , can my VA disability and Social Security benefits be garnished?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
No, those are exempt from garnishment. Creditors can freeze/seize bank accounts, put liens on homes, garnish wages though. Normally bankruptcy cases are not denied except for fraud or if not eligible to file because of a prior case. Talk to a local bankruptcy attorney to review your budget and assets to qualify you for the best chapter to file under. Most offer free consultations to guide you in the right direction. Thanks for your question and good luck.