socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am a sr. who closed on a reverse mortgage 10 months ago.

Customer Question

I am a sr. who closed on a reverse mortgage 10 months ago. My question to you is:
are proceeds from a reverse mortgage creditor proof and subject to the same 6 month exempt to exempt reinvestment time frame as proceeds from the sale of a home in order to maintain their judgement-proof exempt status?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Nothing in the Texas Code or any case law provides for the treatment of reverse mortgage proceeds as if they were from the sale of a homestead. However, that still leaves the issue open to challenge, based on the theory that the borrower does in fact operate in the same manner as an installment sale.

I could see a court going either way on the issue. So, it's a coin toss.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.