Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

bankruptcy Can I file only on my credit cards
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. When you file bankruptcy, the code requires you to list down all outstanding debts on the petition, even if you intend to keep them. IF you do, you should indicate as such on the statement of intention - usually for secured debts like houses, cars, jewelry, furniture etc. If you don't list a debt, #1 it is bankruptcy fraud, #2 it would not be discharged and the creditor could sue to collect on the balance after the bankruptcy. You can always pay back debt afterwards, so always list all debts, even if it is just $1 owed to Mom!
Good luck to you.