socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I have a judgement against my business and myself personally

Customer Question

I have a judgement against my business and myself personally for 139k I have tried to set up a payment plan and they wont agree to it they want 5k per month and I am only able to pay 1k they wont stop,garnishing and harrassing what do I do I want to pay them but cant pay what they want what do I do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

There really are only two options: pay or file bankruptcy. If you have not yet had a bankrupctcy attorney go over your financial circumstances, then you may want to do so, because if you are a candidate for bankruptcy, then you can go back to the creditor with a different proposition to accept your offer or get nothing, because you'll file bankruptcy.

The threat of bankruptcy is the ultimate leverage.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.