Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

my ex is filing ch 7. We own a home. I do not believe it

my ex is filing ch 7. We own a home. I do not believe it will be taken by the trustee based on what we owe and current value. The home has always and is currently up to date on on payments. How will it impact my credit since I'm not filing bankruptcy and the loan is current and presumably will stay that way?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

The effect on you will be dependent upon whether there are joint debts and/or joint assets. If there are no joint debts and no joint assets, there may be little or no effect on you. If there are joint debts, you will remain liable on those joint debts

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

The only joint debt is the house in question. There are no joint assests. My name is XXXXX XXXXX with him on the house mortgage. Even though it won't be forclosed, and will stay current, will it show on my credit as debt associated with a bankruptcy?

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
it should not show on your credit report