How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2830
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am disabled and have been since June of 09 and have been

Customer Question

I am disabled and have been since June of 09 and have been surviving off my retirement (disability) and Social Security. A credit card I had put Medical expenses on during my extended hospitalization, just bumped my interest from 1.99 to 19.99% and now I can not affford the payments. Can I claim bankruptcy and still keep my home, auto, and other bills. Just need to eliminate this card or get them to lower the interest.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
You can discharge medical bills in a chapter 7 bankruptcy.
In Florida, your home will be exempt in the filing.

$1000 of your vehicle is exempt in Florida as well.

You would need to list all debt in the case though.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions