Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Hi I have been thru the Trustee Meeting and the Chapter

I have been thru the Trustee Meeting and the Chapter 7 is moving thru now. The trustee wants to take any money I get from my IRS of 2009. I was trying to save my house with that money (7K). Can they and will they take away my only income from the IRS
Hi and thanks for your question.
Unfortunately there is no exemption in California to protect that much tax refund.
Since this is an asset in your case (money was technically earned last year) the trustee can use it to pay to your creditors. There are small wildcard exemption amounts that you might be eligible to use to protect a little of this, but would depend on the exemption list you chose. Talk to your preparer to see if you have any available to use to protect. Some states offer no protection, some a little, and some are more generous. best of luck to you.