socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

If a company A contracts for software development with company

If a company A contracts for software development with company B, for software at the core of its business, and then company A goes bankrupt without full payment to company B, who owns the development software? What is the status of company B as a creditor?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If the contract is silent about when the right to own the intellectual property transfers to company A, then the right transfers at the time of contract making, and company B's right is only to payment for services rendered. This means that company A would own the copyright in bankruptcy, and company B would be without recourse.

If the contract expressly states that ownership rights do not pass until payment is received, then that provision would control and B would retain the copyright.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.