Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Ive filed for bankruptcy and included a credit card where

Customer Question

I've filed for bankruptcy and included a credit card where my mother was the primary cardholder and I was an authorized user. I am supposed to get my discharge in a couple of weeks but now the credit card company is contacting my mother saying that they are going to sue her because I am the one filing for bankruptcy and I was only an authorized user. Can anything be done?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question. Unfortunately, this was mom's debt only. You were only authorized to use her account, and therefore, this is not your debt, only hers. She is responsible for the payments. If you want to help mom, you need to make a payment arrangement with them, or help mom with the payments. This is not discharged in your case, regardless if you were the one who accumulated the debt. Perhaps mom should consider a case as well. If this was a cosigned debt instead of authorized user, she'd still be on the hook for the full balance, but the debt would be discharged for you in that case. Best of luck to you.