How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I want to file bankruptcy would I go back to my old state

Resolved Question:

If I want to file bankruptcy would I go back to my old state Illinois (where all the debt was accumulated) or new state AZ? Also what happens with a judgement that is against me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You would file in this state where you currently reside. Typically a judgment against a debtor would be discharged in a bankruptcy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much that really helped, also one question I forgot to put in there, can I file chapter 7 since I have really poor credit and I don't own anything?
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
you can file a chapter 7 bankruptcy provided you do not exceed the income allowable
Ellen and 4 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions