socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

Can I file for bankruptcy but still keep my house Also is

Can I file for bankruptcy but still keep my house? Also is it possible to just file for my husband and not myself even if some of the debts are joint? I live in Nevada
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Since your home has no equity, you could file for bankruptcy and eliminate your unsecured debt without losing your home, as long as you can make your mortgage payments.

If you believe that your property will someday have equity value again, then you would want to choose Chapter 13, because title to the property belongs to you after the discharge.

If you believe that your property will always remain underwater, then Chapter 7 is a better solution, because you don't have to make payments towards your unsecured debt. You are just discharged from all your debt immediately. However, the bankruptcy trustee can choose to retain your interest in the property, so that if it is ever sold, the trustee gets any profit.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If we file can only one of us file or will we both be required?

Nevada is a community property state. This means that if only one spouse files for bankruptcy, creditors can sue the other spouse to collect on the bankrupted debts, out of the spouses' community assets. So, while one of you can legally file bankruptcy separately, it won't really protect you unless you file jointly.