Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Our home just foreclosed in Jan 2010. The HOA now has an judgment

Our home just foreclosed in Jan 2010. The HOA now has an judgment to garnish my husband's wages. The amount due went from $1400 to over $7000 during this past year. They want to take over $500 a month. We don't have much debt other than student loans and an home depot card. Can we file a chapter 7? or is there a way to lessen the amount they want to take out? My husband is the only wage earner and loosing that much a month we wont be able to meet our other financial obligations. Do we have any other options? My husband's employer only has 5 more days to respond. Thanks for your time.
You can do a chapter 7 to discharge the HOA and the credit card. The student loans are not dischargeable though. They can take out up to 15% of the pay from your husband, but that can stop instantly once you file a chapter 7 case.