How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2884
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our home just foreclosed in Jan 2010. The HOA now has an judgment

This answer was rated:

Our home just foreclosed in Jan 2010. The HOA now has an judgment to garnish my husband's wages. The amount due went from $1400 to over $7000 during this past year. They want to take over $500 a month. We don't have much debt other than student loans and an home depot card. Can we file a chapter 7? or is there a way to lessen the amount they want to take out? My husband is the only wage earner and loosing that much a month we wont be able to meet our other financial obligations. Do we have any other options? My husband's employer only has 5 more days to respond. Thanks for your time.
You can do a chapter 7 to discharge the HOA and the credit card. The student loans are not dischargeable though. They can take out up to 15% of the pay from your husband, but that can stop instantly once you file a chapter 7 case.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you