Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Hello, my name is Stephen and I was wondering, I am about to

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I was wondering, I am about to declare chapter 7 bankruptcy. My petition has not been filed through my lawyer yet and I go in next Monday to finalize everything. However, my question to you is, I work for Sprint. However, in about 2003-2004 I had a Nextel phone and failed to pay the debt which will not be turned over to the bankruptcy process. My question is can Sprint/Nextel fire me for oweing them monies that will be discharged in bankruptcy?
You cannot be fired for filing bankruptcy, that is a direct violation of the bankruptcy code. You must list all debts in the case, so you should list the nextel bill. Otherwise, intentionally leaving a debt off of a case can result in severe penalties and fraud charges brought by the court. So, list the debt on your schedules. Bring the bill to your lawyer and they will add it on.
Thanks for your question and good luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So one more question and I was wondering, if I have made payment arrangments with my doctors office in the amount of 25 a month for a balance of roughly 250 left. I can not leave that debt off the list either? The reason I worry is I don't want to lose my doctor as a care provider and I fear that office might kick me out should I have to write that balance off. Any advice for that one?
Correct, you should list that debt on there too. Contact their office and explain the situation, I'm sure they will understand. Just because you discharge the debt, doesn't mean you still can't pay them later. Good luck