Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

If you receive money as a gift from family or a boyfriend while

If you receive money as a gift from family or a boyfriend while considering filing bankruptcy but you do not have to pay them back they do you have to claim that money as anything

If it is a gift, you don't have to pay them back! Gifts are not gifts if you have to repay the money!

This person would not be listed as a creditor if you filed bankruptcy.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your information.

What should I do to get my attorney to move ahead with my bankruptcy and to stop saying I have to claim this as income? Do I need a letter from my parents or boyfriend?

My suggestion is to ask the attorney where in the bankruptcy code does it say that a gift is considered income for purposes of bankruptcy.