Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

i need assistance with regard to filing bankruptcy

Customer Question

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Hi. I am an Illinois bankruptcy attorney. How can I help? What is your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am considering bankruptcy because I have too much debt and not enough income to even make arrangements to pay. I recently also recieved a summons to appear in court from one of my creditors who is suing me for the debt. I spoke to someone that said if I am considering filing chapter 7 that I dont need to apear in court. What should I DO?
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
You need to meet with a local bankruptcy attorney to represent you. (I'm in the Chicagoland area) The creditor can continue to sue until the case is filed, so you want to get filed as soon as possible to stop that case, otherwise they can garnish wages, seize bank accounts and other assets or even put a lien on real estate if you own. The chapter 7 will discharge consumer, unsecured debt, and is effective the date of filing. We always recommend going to the state court hearings unless your attorney advises you otherwise.