Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Thank you for your time. I currently in legal battle with

Thank you for your time.

I currently in legal battle with the Homeowner's Assoc where I live. I just discovered I may be responsible for THEIR attorney fees as well as my own. This would ruin me financially. I am considering bankruptcy. Would I still be responsible for those astronomical fees??

What are the ramifications of that action: on my life, my possessions, on credit? Will my job find out about it? Can I have a bank account?

I live in PA.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
If you own property that has assessments, these run with the land. If you are filing bankruptcy, and surrendering the property, you are only responsible for the amounts that come due from the date of filing until the foreclosure, transfer or sale, but not for pre-filing amounts due. This includes their attorneys fees. If accrued after filing, then you are on the hook, if before, then you are not if you list them in a chapter 7 case. They can evict if you don't pay them, so if you are keeping the property, you will wind up having to pay these in full anyways. Each state offers asset protections, called exemptions, a quick google search for Pennsylvania bankruptcy exemptions will give you the list. Unexempted assets can be liquidated in a straight bankruptcy to pay your creditors. Your job usually will not find out about the case, unless you owe them money, or need to tell them to stop a garnishment because of the case filing etc. You can have a bank account sure, with the amounts in the account covered by the state exemptions described earlier. Thanks for you question, good luck to you.