socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

Appeals - Failure to file appellants opening brief after 90

Appeals - Failure to file appellant’s opening brief after 90 days. What happens?

The Judge in Bankruptcy Court granted SJ dismissing with prejudice the Adversary Proceeding, in my favor (defendant). The Dismissal Order was actually filed 30 days later. The Plaintiff filed an appeal within 10 days of the Order being filed.

It has been 3 months since the Plaintiff filed the Appeal to US District Court.
NO ACTION has happened since.

No appellant’s opening brief has been filed. Doesn't Rule 8009 require that "(1) The appellant shall serve and file a brief within 15 days after entry of the appeal on the docket pursuant to Rule 8007."

The Court has not filed anything on the Docket since the original notice of appeal, more than 90 days ago.

What does failure to file appellant’s opening brief for such a long period mean, if anything?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Contact the district court clerk and ask if there's any time line for a decision. Try to speak with the judge's clerk, rather than the desk clerk. Ultimately, you could write a letter to the judge (serve a copy on the other party and the BK trustee) respectfully XXXXX XXXXX the court provide some idea of when the decision is likely.

But, that's about all you can do.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.