socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

Is there a Federal Bankruptcy law that can protect a residential

Customer Question

Is there a Federal Bankruptcy law that can protect a residential homeowner from foreclosure after the debts have been discharged?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Assuming that this is a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, then if the homeowner is not current on the payments, then the lender can foreclose, plain and simple.The debtor could convert to a Chapter 13 and try to create a plan that would permit him/her to catch up on the payments over the next five years. That would be the only way to continue to stave off the foreclosure.

If the debtor is already in Chapter 13, and is not able to maintain the plan payments, then there are no more options available.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.