How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2870
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Terry Here are my questions I have been served from the

Customer Question

Hi Terry Here are my questions I have been served from the attorney representing the credit card company Discover bank and I signed for the summons and complaint. Apx a week later I was sent (certified) the summons and complaint from the court. I have read it is illegal for a processor to come on private property and there seems to be alot of opinions on this what is considered private property. Is it illegal for him to come to my front door and assuming it is would that be reason to add that as an issue that I could add in in my "answer" to the summons. What I am looking to do is delay this judgment as long as possible by tying it up in court. 2nd question I was told the banks have to discharge their bad debt after a specified period of time I was told 6 months by one bank. Is that true if yes Discover shouldn't be suing me it should have been sold off
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I unfortunately do not know the local rules in your state for service of process, since I am only licensed in IL. You can always object to them, but that is really just a tactic to delay, as the creditor will just re-sue you and serve you legally. The statute of limitations in NJ is 6 years, not 6 months. If you plan on filing bankruptcy, that will stop their case as well.

Edited by Terry L. on 2/2/2010 at 9:46 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I realize it is just a delay and as I stated in my original question that is what I am looking to do. Would this objection be part of my answer. I thought the answer had to address the statements of the complaint. Is this objection filed differently and in what sequence to delay this the most eg would I file the answer first wait for that part to run its course than file this objection?

Also I know the statue of limitations for NJ but that is to collect a debt I was talking about how long (if any) does the original credit card company have to discharge it from its books one bank told me 6 MONTHS but I dont trust most information I get these days
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
none of these are bankruptcy questions, I only practice bankruptcy law, so will release your question for someone else to answer. thanks for requesting me, sorry I cannot assist you.