How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2863
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to declare bankruptcy to rid myself of come

This answer was rated:

Is it possible to declare bankruptcy to rid myself of come credit card bills, a loan i have that I cannot afford as my husband have split our finances 1/2 and 1/2 since a year and I have been struggling ever since, I have debt management company helping me with the 3 credit cards, but I am having a hard time paying their fee of 324.04 a month, I pay 1/2 the electric, 1/2 the mortage of 841.00 a month that is my biggest expense. I am living paycheck to paycheck and even that I cannot pay all the bills I am supposed to.
A chapter 7 can help you out. The court will look at your assets, and your available exemptions to see if anything can be liquidated to pay to your creditors. Then they will review your full household income and allowable deductions, called the means test, to determine if you have the ability to pay back some debt. If there are no significant assets with equity, and you pass the means test, then you would be a good candidate for a chapter 7 bankruptcy to discharge the consumer debt to get a fresh start in 90 days. You can continue to pay the mortgage and keep that debt, called reaffirming the debt. You should contact a local bankruptcy attorney to review your case, and confirm that you are eligible for the chapter 7. If not, then you can go into chapter 13, to pay back enough debt to protect any unexempt assets, or if your means test demonstrates you can pay back a portion of the debts, sometimes as low as 10 cents on the dollar. Thanks and good luck to you.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you