socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

My fiance filed chapter 7 in Aug 08 and was divorced in Oct

Customer Question

My fiance' filed chapter 7 in Aug 08 and was divorced in Oct 08. She hired a lawyer and signed a reaffirmation agreement with the mortgage company for her mobile home. Her husband at the time and co-debtor never signed the agreement and the incomes stated on the agreement includes his income. Is the agreement binding? Without my financial help she could not afford the mobile home and I do not want to assume the loan as the loan is much more than the property is worth. I'd like to see her walk away from the loan and home. Also her exhusband is still on the loan agreement even though he never agreed or signed the reaffirmation.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A reaffimation agreement must be approved by the bankruptcy court. If it is approved, then it's binding by operation of law -- otherwise, not -- period, end of story.

Your fiance' can still walk away from the loan, but the creditor can pursue her, and her only recourse will be to try to avoid paying for the next 8 years, until she can file another Chapter 7.

New Mexico being a community property state, means that if you marry your fiance, then your earnings can be subject to paying your fiance's debts. So, maybe you don't want to get married for about the next 8 years. Or, maybe you want to move to a separate property jurisdiction, such as Colorado, Utah or Oklahomoa.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The court records include the reaffirmation but in NM if the debtor is represented by a lawyer the court does not need to approve the agreement (i.e. stamp or sign the document). It is simply signed by the parties and lawyer However the now exhusband never signed as I mentioned. So for clarity she is bound by the agreement?

If the ex-husband was a joint debtor in your fiance's bankruptcy, and never signed, then we could be into some gray area where there is no answer, because the issue has never been litigated.

Otherwise, your fiance' is bound.