TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

if you receive a credit card bill from a debt collector and

if you receive a credit card bill from a debt collector and send him a letter in return mail asking him to verify the debt and your signature on contract, how many days does he have to return information to you??
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

The Federal law does not require the collector to respond within 30 days. The 30 day period is for the debtor … i.e. the debtor has 30 days to demand validation of the debt. The collector may take as long as he’d like to validate the debt. However, until the debt is validated, the collector may not engage in any collection activity, and that includes filing a lawsuit. Therefore, it appears that the collector did violate the law when it filed the lawsuit. It sounds like your potential attorney recognizes the violation, and is offering a reasonable deal.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.