Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have a lot of credit card debt and am about to retire losing

Customer Question

I have a lot of credit card debt and am about to retire losing that income. I am 66 and live where it is difficult to get out during the winters. I have a mortgage on my home, own one 2000 vehicle and paying on a truck 4-wheel drive. Will any retirement money be impacted on? Can they do anything with attaching home?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Social security benefits can only be garnished for recovery of Federal Taxes and alimony and child support obligations but, it cannot be garnished for recovery of credit card or any other types of debt. However the creditor can bring judgment against you to garnish your bank account. If the creditor garnishes your bank account then your account may be debited in full whenever any money gets credited in the account.