Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing law. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I will have a money judgement taken against me in the next

I will have a money judgement taken against me in the next few days from a credit card company!!! Can they file a lein on my house for the amount due them? Am I able to stop garnishment if I file for Bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

Yes, if they file suit against you and get a judgment they can lien any real estate you own, seize any bank accounts and garnish any wages up to 25%.

And yes, if you file BK, it legally stays all creditor collection attempts. After the filing is complete and approved by the court, it would extinguish the credit card debt.

Thanks.

I hope you have a better understanding of your question as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption.