How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 34874
Experience:  16 years practicing law. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will have a money judgement taken against me in the next

Resolved Question:

I will have a money judgement taken against me in the next few days from a credit card company!!! Can they file a lein on my house for the amount due them? Am I able to stop garnishment if I file for Bankruptcy?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.



Yes, if they file suit against you and get a judgment they can lien any real estate you own, seize any bank accounts and garnish any wages up to 25%.


And yes, if you file BK, it legally stays all creditor collection attempts. After the filing is complete and approved by the court, it would extinguish the credit card debt.





I hope you have a better understanding of your question as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption.

Barrister and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions