Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

can a husband file for bankruptcy without his wife filing

can a husband file for bankruptcy without his wife filing?
must you file in the state in which you pay your taxes or can you file in another state if you also maintain a residence there?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A husband and wife are not required to file a bankruptcy jointly. One party can file without the other. However the bankruptcy must be filed in the State where you legally reside

The effect on the non-filing spouse will be dependent upon whether there are joint debts and/or joint assets. If there are no joint debts and no joint assets, there may be little or no effect on the non-filing spouse. If there are joint debts and/or joint assets, the non-filing spouse would remain liable on the joint debt and the joint assets would need to be included in the filing.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.