Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I sued an ex-girlfriend for money she owed me back in Dec.

I sued an ex-girlfriend for money she owed me back in Dec. 2000 and won a Stipulation for Judgment. She was to make regular payments to me until the debt is payed off. She filed bankruptcy in Sept. 2001. A hearing or OSC RE Dismissal/Sanctions is scheduled in court 1/19/10.
Do I need to attend this hearing, or is the case over due to the bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If the debt/judgment was discharged in the bankruptcy, she's no longer obligated to pay you the debt. Thus, it would be no need for you to attend in that sense.

However, it is possible for her to reaffirm the debt by agreeing that she still owes it or that she will begin making payments, etc. Thus, if you could get her to reaffirm the debt, it would be worth showing up and trying to get something out of it.