How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31662
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I find myself in alot of credit card debt. My parents did

This answer was rated:

I find myself in alot of credit card debt. My parents did deed me a parcel of property several years ago. How long would that property have to be out of my name if it comes to me having to file bankruptcy? I am from the state of Indiana.
In bankruptcy, pursuant to 11 U.S.C. §548 (section 548 of the Bankruptcy Code), a fraudulent transfer is any transfer of any asset--or any interest in any asset (such as part ownership in a home)-- made within two (2) years prior to filing the bankruptcy case and in which either of the following are true: A. The transfer was made with actual intent to hinder, delay, or defraud any entity to which the debtor was or later became indebted to; OR B. the debtor received less than reasonably equivalent value for the exchange AND was insolvent on the date the transfer was made (or became insolvent as a result of the transfer). There are actual several other bases for the transfer to be considered fraudulent, but these are the most common.
Roger and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions