Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I have been dicorced from my ex-wife from little over 2 years

Customer Question

I have been dicorced from my ex-wife from little over 2 years and she is now filing for bankruptcy. My name is XXXXX XXXXX some of the accounts from when we were married she is filing bankruptcy on. My question is...am I alone going to responsible for those accounts after her bankruptcy goes through?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

The creditors can file suit against you to collect a debt. You can file suit against your former spouse for reimbursement.

Here is why.

The divorce decree states the rights between the spouses as to which spouse will make the payments on the joint debt. However it does not affect the right of the creditor to collect from either spouse.

Section 523 of the Bankruptcy Code excepts from discharge both property settlements and support obligations.

You can read the Code here:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode11/usc_sec_11_00000523----000-.html

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER