TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I AM A SINGLE MALE PROVIDER WITH AN INCOME IN THE $65,000 RANGE

I AM A SINGLE MALE PROVIDER WITH AN INCOME IN THE $65,000 RANGE AND A SMALL MILITARY PENSION. OVER THE PAST THREE YEARS MY JOB CUT TREMENDOUS OVERTIME ALLOWANCES AND I LOST A SUBSTANTIAL PART OF MY INCOME.

I AM THE CARETAKER FOR A YOUNG TEEN BOY, AND RECENTLY HAD AN OLDER SISTER MOVE IN WHEN SHE BECAME ILLAND UNEMPLOYOED. THE CREDIT CARD, CAR, AND GENERAL EXPENSE REQUIREMENTS EACH MONTH HAVE PUT ME FAR BEHIND ON PAYMENT OF SOME BILLS AND BARELY KEEPING UP WITH MAJOR ACCOUNTS, FOOD AND NECESSITIES.

DO I QUALIFY FOR CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY, OR CHAPTER 13?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

According to the online calculator found HERE, you make about $1200/month more than the median family income for a family of 3 in New Mexico. That means you don’t automatically qualify for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. You can still qualify, however, if you don’t have enough disposable income to pay off your debts. Your disposable income will be determined by subtracting allowed expenses (as determined by an IRS list of expenses) from your monthly income. As you can imagine, this can be fairly complicated, so to find out for sure you’re going to have to consult with a bankruptcy attorney in-person so he can review each of your expenses.

The requirements for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy are not as limiting, so assuming your unsecured debt is under $300k, your secured debt is under $900k, and you have a stable income, then you qualify for a Chapter 13.

I suggest you consult with a bankruptcy attorney in-person (he should give a free initial consultation) so he can review your situation in detail and help you choose the best option.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.