socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am planning on filing Chapter 7 in New York state. I have

I am planning on filing Chapter 7 in New York state. I have a traditional IRA valued at $92,000. I am attempting to discharge ~$70,000 in unsecured debt. I have no income (unemployed) and will pass the means test.

My attorney told me, in an informal meeting (not having looked closely at my situation) that 401ks are not exempt and that a traditional IRA will only be exempt if I file a exemption request and then I will have to explain why I need to keep this money.

I can not find anywhere on-line that indicates that a classic, tax exempt IRA or ESERA 401k plan is not exempt (up to ~$1,000,000). Can you give me an idea about what aspect of the bankruptcy law he is referring to?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

IRA and 401(k) are exempt. Period: In Re Dubroff, 119 F.3D 75 (2d Cir. 06/18/1997).

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.