socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I am in the middle of a divorce in San Francisco. We worked

Customer Question

I am in the middle of a divorce in San Francisco. We worked out an agreement but now he is threatening to file bankruptcy. If he files bankruptcy do I have to? Thank you
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

If he files for bankruptcy, then while you do not "legally" have to file for bankruptcy, if you do not file, the all of the joint account debts will become your sole responsibility and there is nothing that the family court will be able to do to prevent this outcome, because federal bankruptcy law preempts state law.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.