Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

HI, Do I need a lawyer to file for bankruptcy Is there a

Do I need a lawyer to file for bankruptcy?
Is there a form that I can get and file at the court house?
I have credit cards that have gone to collection agency and lawers trying to collect and want to take my pay check to apply towards what I owe, I also want to know if I file to prevent them from taking my pay check?
Thank you,

It is possible to file a bankruptcy without an attorney. here is the link were you may download the forms:

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13. There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. However, you may have to surrender assets, if any, that exceed your exemption.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a repayment plan for an individual. It may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt over a 3 -5 year period. However, you may retain assets that exceed your exemption.

Here are the exemptions for Kentucky:

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,